Saturday, January 1, 2011

Back-blogging: A Pre-[r]amble

Greetings Aerogram readers! It has taken me a week to get my blog up and running. I’ve had some crazy adjusting to do since I got here. However, I think this might be a good long-term system: I jot down entries throughout the week, then revise and post during the weekend. So there will be a bit of a lag. I am also still trying to figure out the blog formatting itself, so parts may be somewhat awkward. Eventually I’d like to link a flickr feed, but I haven’t gotten there yet. My first week is going to have lots of crazy long entries because this is the stuff I really want to hold onto: the first impressions, the novelties, the adventures, the ‘euphoria.’ I promise there won’t always be so much flotsam.

A note on style:

Sparse, austere, economical prose is a hallmark of Japanese literature… But you’re not gonna find it in this blog. I began writing entries with the purest intentions. No more than 250 words per entry, I told myself. Short and sweet. Entertaining, digestible. These are ‘Aerograms,’ not 3-volume novels. Even after a few days of writing, I still maintained the illusion that I would eventually edit my entries down to such a length. After a week, that illusion is dead. I hope I will learn to write with restraint over the next few weeks, because revision takes a lot of energy. Maybe a year from now I can whittle this blog into something readable, but for now, it is what it is. I guess this blog is also a travel diary for me, and I really want to remember every detail! We all have our vices; mine is wanton self-expression. Sincere apologies.

I have tried to bracket my worst tangents as supplemental pages. I know some of my readers might actually be interested in them. Or maybe I just need to force them upon the world. However, you will find them under 'pages' at the top right side of the blog. For the rest of the flab, PLEASE skip and skim at your own discretion. Also, some of my post titles will be cryptic or esoteric. If you're curious as to their meaning, go ahead a post a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment