Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Still Alive!

Wow, it's been almost two months since I last posted!!

Life continues to be wonderful, though wonderfully busy. As soon as my semester ended, we had "golden week," a week of continuous holidays. For the Japanese, this is particularly special, because Japanese companies are very strict about absences and vacations. Few Japanese get to take a week off for any reason, let alone a vacation getaway. I spent my golden week hiking in Kamakura and Takaosan, did a little karaoke and even some bowling (!), saw an amazing Taro Okamoto exhibition, and of course, had a picnic. I had a great time getting to know my new friends better. I also found this sizzling little Jazz club in Takadanobaba--I wrote a journal entry about this, so hopefully I'll blog about it soon.

Clockwise from left: Yuuki, Kimihito, Natsumi, Hannah (former roommate at LMU, coincidentally), me. Hiro's holding the camera.

I guess I haven't been blogging as much because I'm no longer a traveler, really. I'll be leaving Japan soon--in August, specifically--but I've sort of put down roots. I still seek out new experiences, but most of my life is absorbed in my studies and my social life. The summer semester courses are particularly intense because the semester is so short. But also, my social life has reached a new level--I found a really great boyfriend! I must confess that most free time I come across gets immediately allocated to that... But he's Japanese, so it's great conversation practice...! I'll stop making excuses, I'm a truant through and through. But I have been doing quite well in my classes, so the folks back home needn't worry too much.

As for prospects for this blog in the future? I'm not so sure... I write essays for my literature class every week, and I write essays in Japanese every week, so I'm a bit essayed out. Sorry folks! However, I plan to wipe the dust off my camera and at least post some photos, and hopefully I can manage 200-word aerograms once or twice a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment